Friday, December 16, 2011

Happy Bowl Season!

It's amazing how Bowl Week has turned into two weeks, and ESPN doesn't even count the BCS Bowls as part of the "week."

It's just as well, because I don't see any bowls that I could write anything interesting about until maybe December 22nd, and that's the MAACO Bowl - Boise State vs. Arizona State.  I really don't have anything interesting or insightful, I just know who both teams are, and both probably should be in better bowl games.  No, I don't think Boise belongs in a BCS bowl, I just think that their conference should get some better tie-ins.  Arizona State looked like a team that started strong and then fizzled out.

The Independence Bowl on December 26 looks like the first game between two big conferences as we get Missouri (in their last game as a member of the Big 12 before moving to the SEC) and North Carolina (long and forever an ACC member).

It's not until December 28 that I start seeing bowl matchups that consistently look interesting.  So I'll be back sometime next week to break them down.

Is this a sign of too many bowl games?  Perhaps.  But bowl eligibility lost some of it's meaning when the regular season was expanded to 12 games.  How many 5-6 teams earn that 6th win in the 12th game, when they wouldn't have had that option before?

So it looks like I'll still be in college football withdrawal for a few more days.  Although maybe there's a chance that some of these early games will still be tense in the final minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment