Sunday, August 17, 2014

Tony's CFP Picks

With the new postseason set to debut this year, I'm as excited as anyone to see it unfold. Just who will those last four teams be that get to fight it out in the Rose/Sugar Bowls and then near Dallas?

My predictions for the CFP are below. Like Chip, they are in no particular order.

- Florida State (ACC)

- Alabama (SEC)

- Oklahoma (Big 12)

- Michigan State (Big Ten)

Like last year, I can easily see Florida State going undefeated. And with wins over three "Power" schools out of conference (Oklahoma State in Jerryworld, Notre Dame and Florida in Tallahassee), no one will be questioning the relative effort of the Seminoles.

Although the Tide have dropped a regular season game (or more) each of the past 4 years, it'll be tough to see them finishing the regular season with more than that.

I tried not to go overboard on Sooner love just because of one bowl game, but I think their schedule sets up nicely for an 11-1 season. That should be enough to get them in.

And for the last one, I got Michigan State squeaking in over the PAC-12 Champ. I think the Spartans lose a close one at Oregon, but that the Ducks stumble over their hype toward the end of the season once again. I think Stanford or UCLA will win the conference, but with 2 losses. MSU beats Ohio State in East Lansing in November, wins the Big Ten again, and occupies the #4 spot with their 12-1 record for the second year in a row.

Other teams I predict finishing in "New Year's Six" range (or near it) include:

- South Carolina (SEC)

- LSU (SEC)

- Baylor (Big 12)

- Kansas State / Auburn winner (Big 12 or SEC)

- Ohio State (Big Ten)

- Nebraska (Big Ten)

- Clemson (ACC)

- UNC/Duke winner (ACC)

- Marshall (Conference USA)...undefeated and taking the "Group of 5" spot

I look forward to the season ahead...and to getting back to my weekly "under the radar" games to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment