Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Countdown to Kickoff 2015 #9: ACC Wheel of Destiny

So here's a futile effort, but it's 9 days to kickoff, and we need something to talk about.

How do we think the ACC will shake out?


Let's take a look at the Atlantic first.  The last few years, it's pretty much been whoever wins the Clemson/FSU game.  I still think that game is going to be pivotal for the division, but it may not be the sole deciding factor.  Both teams look to be taking a slight step back.  Instead of seeing the winner be 8-0 in conference and the loser 7-1, I could envision both teams having at least 1 loss.

Louisville will have some say in who wins the division, but I can also see them losing one or two key games.  They could benefit if there's a three way tie at the top.

Then we have the rest of the division.  NC State and Boston College appear to be the wild cards.  I don't expect them to do much, but I wouldn't necessary be surprised if they make a run for it.

Wake Forest and Syracuse round out the bottom of the division.  I think Wake can improve on last season's performance (but the bar is so incredibly low, that's not too hard).  I believe Syracuse is a complete non-starter.

Over in the Coastal, things are muddy as usual.  I think we're back to seeing the two Techs battle it out - Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech - but I don't think they're going to make it easy to clinch the division early.

I think Duke has taken a step back, and won't necessarily be a contender, but will definitely affect the outcome of the division.

UNC is going to be the team that won't go away.  I think that for most of the season, when all of the teams are bunched together at the top of the standings, UNC is going to be hovering around the bottom, but won't be mathematically eliminated until November.  I'm not saying they're a dangerous team, but I'm going to be muttering "just lose already" every week as I put together the weekly wrap up posts.

Miami and Pitt are wild cards, because you never really know what you're getting with those teams.  And, you know, Wheel of Destiny.  So they could end up contending for the division title, or the toilet bowl.

Finally, there's UVA.  I'm hesitant to call them a non-starter, because the last time I did that, they started off fairly strong and were looking like a contender until they fell apart midseason.


No comments:

Post a Comment