Saturday, August 29, 2015

Countdown to Kickoff 2015 Bonus: Season Predictions

Even though we have a unanimous AP #1 team this season, coming up with predictions for the final four in the CFP, as well as conference winners seems much more difficult than last year.

I don't have a lot of study in some of this, and a lot of it is just fan opinion...call it a feeling.

B1G:  Ohio State over Wisconsin

The problem with the conference is that the East division is stacked, with Ohio State and the two Michigan schools.  I think that division will come down to Ohio State vs. Michigan State, but Michigan is going to be a wildcard in there as well.  It's hard to tell where that team is going to end up in the first year of Harbaugh.  Over in the West, it looks like it's bound to come down to Wisconsin or Nebraska, and for familiarity purposes, I'm taking Wisconsin.  Really, the West is stack in mediocrity.

Pac-12:  USC over Oregon

This conference could be a toss up.  I think UCLA could stay in the conversation for a while, as could the Arizona schools.  Oregon doesn't have a lot of competition in their own division, but as usual, they end up dropping an important game near the end of the year.

Big 12:  TCU

There are three teams to watch in the Big 12 -- TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma.  I think Oklahoma is still on the rebound (although they could be the surprise team).  Meanwhile, TCU is going to be more fired up after the end of last season, not only losing to Baylor, but losing out on the CFP.

SEC:  Georgia over LSU

Yes, I am taking the SEC East.  Overall, we're seeing the conference take a step back, and I think that means the West beating themselves up enough to allow the East to push through.  I'm not buying the Auburn or Texas A&M hype trains, and I don't think Alabama has enough to overcome their shortcoming last year.

ACC:  Virginia Tech over Clemson

This pick is hard, because I'm trying not to be a homer, and the Hokies do have quite a hurdle to clear right out the gate.  But I think we're back.  Georgia Tech is going to be tough, but they're losing a lot of pieces from last year (when they also got a lot of lucky breaks).  Same in the Atlantic with Florida State.  I don't think they reload as hefty this year.

Now, for the final four in the CFP, it's really hard, because I'm trying to take the orange and maroon glasses off.  There are several other factors to consider.  Will the committee feel bad about leaving the Big 12 out last year?  Is Notre Dame going to shoot up the polls and force two conferences to sit out?  If Ohio State and Virginia Tech both win out after Labor Day, could that lead to a potential rematch in the CFP?

My final four is Ohio State, TCU, USC, and Georgia.

But then, there's a voice in the back of my head that keeps whispering "2007, 2007."  Could we be seeing another roller coaster season?  The blogger in me sort of hopes so.

No comments:

Post a Comment